What is Melasma? Causes and treatments
At this point, I'm sure you've heard about Melasma. A condition that, although it is not a serious health problem, is aesthetically speaking. To put some light on this issue, we tell you what is Melasma : causes and treatments
What is Melasma?
The first thing is to make clear what is Melasma . It is a skin problem that, unfortunately, is becoming more common in humans. The Melasma consist of the appearance of spots on the skin . These spots do not pose a health problem , but they greatly affect the aesthetics of those affected. For this reason, you should know how to avoid them.
Knowing what Melasma is, means knowing the reason of his name. Of Greek origin, melas means dark and so are spots that appear on the face . In particular, browns and gray . Some stains that give appearance of dirt and lack of hygiene to those affected. Affected that, interestingly, are mostly women . In fact, it is estimated that four out of five affected by Melasma are women.
Another problem derived from Melasma is its genetic predisposition . According to several studies, having a relative with Melasma, triggers the chances that we contracted.
Melasma has a tendency to appear on the face. Especially on the cheeks , nose and front . However, as it appears on other parts of the face, you can also do it in other areas of the body . Especially in areas exposed to the sun such as shoulders and neck.
The least bad thing about this disease is that there is no risk to the affected person, only a aesthetic discomfort that can lead to other ailments more severe such as depression. And it is that a Melasma, in a given moment, can be a hard blow to the self-esteem. Everything will depend on the area in which it appears. Despite healing on its own and over time , it requires a treatment so that it does not leave a signal. It is also convenient to know what are the causes of Melasma.
Causes of Melasma
What are the causes of Melasma ? The truth is that the origin of this disease is not clear. In recent years, the appearance of these spots has been attributed to melanocytes . These are the cells that control the pigmentation of the skin that react to being altered by certain elements. These are the causes of Melasma.
- Sun - The ultraviolet rays of the sun affect the melanin of the skin in a very negative way. Thus, those who are often exposed to the sun's rays are more likely to develop a Melasma. To avoid it, sunscreen regularly
- Cosmetics - There are certain aesthetic products that can cause a skin reaction. This reaction can trigger a Melasma. For this reason, when this happens, we must find out which product is the one that reacts to the skin.
- Endocrine diseases - Diabetes mellitus can be the cause of a Melasma. It is not usual but some endocrinological diseases can result in Melasmas.
- Stress - Exactly, stress is not something that causes a Melasma, but stress can be what makes it worse MelasmaIt is due to the hormonal alteration to which your body is subjected during the gestation period. Obviously, in this case, medication is prohibited, at least until the pregnancy ends. It can also occur in women who, without being pregnant, have revolutionized hormones. For example, taking hormone-laden anti-contraceptives.
Treatments against Melasma
Finally, we review the treatments against Melasma . However, if you want more detailed information on this, take a look at this article treatments against Melasma . You will find extended and very specific information about the Melasma and how to end it, without leaving a trace. While, here we will give certain notions about treatments against Melasma
However, it is important to know that the most common treatment against Melasma is time . That is, the spots tend to disappear by themselves , after a certain time. In spite of this, it does not hurt to help this disappearance. For this, the first thing is to diagnose the Melasma motive and treat it correctly and concretely.
And that is, many Melasmas not only do not disappear with time , but they last for years . There are patients to whom the spots end up accompanying them throughout their lives. It is an unsightly element that is not painful or dangerous but uncomfortable more than you can imagine. To try to minimize them, these are the treatments against Melasma.
- Hydroquinone - It is the most common treatment in most Melasmas. The basic active principle against this disease. It is easily found in pharmacies and sold in cream, gel or lotion. That yes, it is convenient to go with a medical prescription, so that the product they give us has a higher concentration of hydroquinone than that sold without a prescription. A product that acts during the night, attacking the excess of pigmentation.
- Corticosteroids - It is another skin lightening but with the addition of having corticoids. Therefore, we must control that the concentration of corticoids is low, to avoid side effects. It is recommended that the doctor be the one to tell us whether to use it or not.
- Tetrinoin - Tetrinoin is another clarifier, similar to hydroquinone and corticosteroids. In fact, they are complementary and, on occasion, there are doctors who prescribe them jointly. Of course, in this case, it should be a doctor who tells us when and how to use it. There are some products that combine hydroquinone, corticosteroids and tetrinoin
- Chemical exfoliation - Chemical exfoliation is already a step in the treatment of Melasma. It consisted of a microdermabrasion of the superficial layers of the skin. The goal is to eliminate excessive pigmentation. Obviously, it must be allowed by a dermatologist, because it has the risk of leading to other diseases
- Laser - In this case, the laser technology would serve to lighten the skin, provided it is applied at low power. Each session should be controlled by the dermatologist, who would leave between 30 and 45 days between sessions. In addition, it would be supplemented with some cream with hydroquinone, tetrinoin or corticosteroids.
You may also be interested :
- Eye color may indicate skin diseases
- Beware of skin cancer in young people
- Skin is a good witness of pregnancy